- In-season options: these make cooking fun and creative to make new recipes!
- Smaller carbon footprint: local farmers (like those at the FreshFarm markets) have a smaller distance to travel
- Fresher/harvested when freshest: Since the food doesn't travel as far, it can ripen more on the plant before harvest
- Support local farmers: local farmers can rely on the community around them rather than large companies to buy their products
- Promotes public health: through non-harmful farming tactics, the water and soil around farming areas are healthier for surrounding rural communities
- Animal welfare: locally raised livestock have more space to graze and roam
- Healthy and nutritious: Local markets enhances availability of fruits and vegetables
- Tastes better: in-season and local foods grow where and when they naturally occur, enhancing their flavors