The online applications for the 2018 farmers market season will be available in January. Season dates vary by market, and are included in each market's application. Want to let us know about your business in the meantime, and be notified when the 2018 application is available? Click the button below:
BEFORE YOU APPLY, read the Eligibility Statement regarding the types of businesses we admit to our markets. If you do not meet our eligibility requirements, you are encouraged to apply elsewhere. Please note that we do not refund application fees.
STATEMENT OF ELIGIBILITY
Admission to sell at a FRESHFARM market is subject to the evaluation of the Markets & Programs team. Only applicants that meet the following eligibility criteria will be considered for admission to markets.
- LOCAL: we accept businesses based in DC, MD, VA, WV, PA, and DE. Those within 100 miles of DC will be considered more favorably. Value-added and prepared food producers, including concessions and alcohol, are required to source as many ingredients locally as possible, and sourcing will be verified.
- PRODUCER-ONLY: all products sold at FRESHFARM markets must be grown, raised, or produced by the business selling the products. Absolutely NO reselling is allowed.
- Read our 2017 Rules & Procedures and Product Guidelines in detail to determine if your product is eligible for sale at FRESHFARM markets.
For agricultural products, you must submit third-party verification that you are a grower.
For prepared foods, you must be cooking in a licensed commercial kitchen.
We give priority to family farms and small businesses that utilize sustainable practices and engage their local communities and economies.
- Read our 2017 Rules & Procedures and Product Guidelines in full before applying.
- To apply to one or more of our markets, you must create a profile on ManageMyMarket.com.
- Complete your Profile and Products pages. Submit an application for each market for which you would like to be considered. Upload the required documents as listed in the application.
- Pay the application fee online or by check.
- FRESHFARM staff will review all applications. We may request a meeting and product samples if we are considering you for a market.
- All applicants will be notified of decisions in February.
- If you are a new applicant that we have tentatively approved, FRESHFARM staff will conduct a farm/facility visit. Your approval will remain pending until the visit is complete. All businesses must be visited before selling at a market.
Non-refundable fees are as follows:
- $25 universal application fee, plus:
- $50 fee upon acceptance, for RETURNING vendors, OR:
- $125 site visit fee for NEW vendors. This fee will only be charged to new vendors if FRESHFARM elects to conduct a farm/facility visit. If we schedule a visit, it means your application is approved, pending the visit. If you are not being strongly considered for a market, no visit will be conducted and no visit fee will be charged.
Please Note: the application process to sell at FRESHFARM markets is very competitive. We receive hundreds of applications every year, and have a very limited number of available spots. Neither applying to sell, nor having sold with us in the past, is a guarantee that you will be admitted. Likewise, meeting our eligibility standards does not guarantee acceptance, because the process is competitive. You may also be considered for a market for which you did not apply if we think it would be a better fit.
Applications will be approved or declined as evaluated by the Markets & Programs management team, based on criteria including, but not limited to:
- The needs of each farmers market, including product mix;
- Farming practices (for farm businesses);
- Extent of local sourcing (for non-farm businesses);
- Product quality and fit for markets;
- For existing vendors, track record with fee payment, attendance, etc.