FRESHFARM believes that fresh, local, and healthy food should be available to all people, regardless of their means. We work to lower the barriers to food access that low-income families and individuals face. We accept all available State and Federal food benefits to make fresh food more accessible to people from all walks of life. Read below for more details on each program.
Federal Nutrition Benefits
We accept and match SNAP (EBT/Food Stamps), WIC, and Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program benefits at eight markets in DC, two markets in Maryland, and two markets in Virginia.
- To use your benefits at our markets, visit the orange Market Information tent. A friendly market manager or volunteer will be happy to help.
- For SNAP, we’ll swipe your EBT card and issue your SNAP dollars plus Matching Dollars in the form of wooden tokens.
- For WIC and Senior Farmers Market benefits, we’ll let you know which farmers accept them. When you make a purchase using WIC or Senior Farmers Market benefits, the farmer will give you a receipt, which you can exchange for Matching Dollars tokens at the Market Information tent.
- Our tokens are valid at all FRESHFARM Markets and never expire!
We match what shoppers spend in federal nutrition benefits at our farmers markets. This increases buying power and access to fresh food, while supporting local farmers and producers. Since 2009, we’ve supported our customers and our farmers with over $300,000 in Matching Dollars.
For the past several years we have matched up to $15 dollars per customer per day. Unfortunately in the 2016 season, we are facing a steep fundraising shortfall that has required us to make both short-term and long-term alterations to Matching Dollars.
Effective July 1, 2016, we are reducing the match to $10 per customer per day, a level that reflects the regional and national standard for farmers market incentive programs.
Click here for instructions on how to use your Matching Dollars.
FRESHFARM is proud to partner with DC Greens and the DC Department of Health to bring the Produce Plus Program to our markets in Washington D.C. This innovative program, made available by both public and private funding, puts more fresh fruits and vegetables on the table for local families in need, and more money in local farmers’ wallets.
- Any DC resident who is enrolled in a qualifying program (SNAP/Food Stamps, WIC, Senior Grocery Plus/SFMNP, Medicaid/QMB, SSI Disability, or TANF) is eligible to receive $10 in produce vouchers every week at participating farmers markets.
- To participate, bring your photo ID and proof of enrollment in a qualifying program to a DC farmers market and visit the Market Information tent.