Austin Fausett, executive chef at Proof, has been hosting cooking demonstrations at the Penn Quarter market as well as receiving his own Farmshare bag. He will also be hosting a series of cooking classes through Proof. In these classes, members will learn how to pick the best produce, create a meal with it, and pair it with wine. This talented chef has shared one of his favorite recipes with us that incorporates his market ingredients!
Grilled Zucchini, Spring Onions, and Honey Crisp Apples
- 1 yellow zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 green zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 honey crisp apple, diced
- 3 red spring onions
- ½ cup Labne or Fage plain yogurt
- 1 lemon
- Leave the green onions whole and quarter the zucchini, seasoning both with some salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Grill the onions and zucchini for 2 minutes on each side. You'll want the green onions to cook until they are tender throughout, while the zucchini should keep its semi-firm texture.
- Take the vegetables off of the grill and place on your cutting board. Cut into bite size pieces, about ½ inch in size.
- Dice the raw Honey Crisp Apples to the same size (about a half inch) to match.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and add 1 tsp of minced raw garlic.
- Add 1/2 cup Labne or Fage plain Yogurt.
- Squeeze lemon juice, to taste, into the bowl and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
This dish is delicious because of the natural sweetness of the vegetables, a bit of
char from the grill, and the crisp fresh apples.
Grilling tips from Chef Austin
“I would recommend to serve this with some seared scallops or some Rockfish fresh from
“Don’t move your fish or vegetables too much. Make sure the grill is nice and hot
before putting things onto the grill, and LISTEN for it to sizzle. Give it time to sear
and release from the grill before trying to move them.”