Produce Plus is BACK and better than ever! This year, our friends at DC Greens are administering the program in partnership with the DC Department of Health. Any DC resident who participates in EBT/SNAP, WIC, Senior Grocery Plus, Medicaid, TANF, or SSI Disability, is eligible for $10 in FREE fruits and vegetables every week! The Produce Plus Program is a win-win, putting more fresh food on the table for local families, and more money in local farmers' pockets.
The Produce Plus Program will have several major improvements in 2016:
- Much more funding! Don't worry about markets running out of checks.
- Longer season! The Program will run from June 1 - November 30, a two month extension.
- New technology! Volunteers will register customers for the checks using a mobile app on a tablet. No more paper registers! Even better: customers will receive membership cards so they don't have to bring their documents every time. Simply register once, then bring your photo ID and membership card to any participating farmers market to get checks.
- Stay connected! Customers can sign up to receive text or email alerts about important news and updates regarding the program. Enter your email or phone number during a transaction, or you can email or call (202) 888-4VEG to sign up for alerts. You can also follow @ProducePlusDC on Twitter or Facebook to stay up to date!
- If you're interested in volunteering to help your neighbors access fresh, local, healthy foods grown by local farmers, sign up for the DC Greens Volunteer Brigade! Volunteers are essential to providing a great experience for customers.
FRESHFARM will have Produce Plus checks available at all 8 of our DC farmers markets starting June 1st. Please note that we only distribute checks during official market hours, and since there is plenty of funding this year, you don't need to worry about us running out. Processing transactions will also be much faster this year, using the mobile devices. No more long lines!
For more information about the program, including a map of all participating farmers markets, visit the DC Greens website. You can also find a printable list of all markets here in English and aquí en español.
Please spread the word to friends, family, and neighbors who could benefit from the Produce Plus Program! We can't wait to see you at market.